The Xiaomi M365 electric scooter is the world’s most popular entry-level electric scooter in the world. We definitely think it deserves this as it has done much to improve the space (as well as receiving the Red Dot award for innovation in 2017).
Our Xiaomi M365 review will showcase all the different aspects of this electric scooter and we will break it down if it’s an electric scooter that you should consider buying.
We have a few different categories that we want to go over in this review that will help to provide an overall view of the rideable and its actual greatness or lack thereof.
Categories for this review:
- Battery Capacity and Life
- Build Quality, Design, and Foldability
- Top Speed & Ride Quality
- Price Range and Value
Battery Capacity: How long does Xiaomi M365 last?
What does Xiaomi say?
Xiaomi promotes their Mi Electric Scooter would provide you with 18.6 miles of long-range battery and “smart power management”.
Their battery put together of several 18650 high-capacity lithium batteries and their smart battery management lets you know if there are any issues with the battery and lets you know the health of the pack directly to your phone.
Also, they’ve built a regenerative energy system that is built to extend battery life by storing kinetic energy during acceleration into electrical power. This with regenerative braking which should help battery life and emergency braking.
This means if your daily commute is under 8-9 miles, you’ll be able to get to work and back without having to recharge until you get back home!
This is definitely a win because that would mean an average savings of $56.67 in gas with an average cost per gallon of $3.25. This makes a lot of sense for anyone who is looking to save the
What does everyone else say?
The battery while greatly promoted could be an area of opportunity for Xiaomi. The battery may not live up to its expectations dependent on how cold the temperatures are when you ride the scooter.
You get access to the electric scooters’ internal systems via Bluetooth on the Home app. You will see here that you’re getting close to 5 hours of use per full battery charge.
Quick Sidenote: All batteries will perform a less than optimal performance in cold weather regardless of the type. Usually, lithium-ion batteries will still outperform, but when it comes to their performance and battery life on a very cold day, you may see much-diminished reliability.
Xiaomi Mi Electric Scooter can drop down in usability by an additional 20-30% in cold weather so you will have to resort to bringing around your battery charger around.
Build Quality: How good is the design for Xiaomi Mi Electric Scooter?
What does Xiaomi say?
Xiaomi promotes their Mi Electric Scooter weighs only 26.9 lbs due to its aerospace-grade aluminum frame. Great portable size and weight for carry-ons as well as maneuvering stairs and pavements.
Also with 8.5-inch front and rear tires – large enough for great shock absorption and anti-slip treads. This size wheels with their 250W brushless DC motor will deliver a smooth, safe riding experience.
In the addition to these features, there is a double braking system that involves a front-wheel disc brake and rear disc brake that will stop as quickly as 4 meters. Ultra-bright 1.1W headlights are built-in for night riding with a range of 6 meters to enhance safety (an awesome feature for sure).
What does Red Dot say?
Red Dot awards individual companies that are best in class for design and business. Everyone who receives a Red Dot award has earned it due to expert product design, and design concepts.
They’ve said that Xiaomi M365 has high-performance characteristics and a range of up to 18.6 miles, you’ll truly feel like riding this e-scooter will be an experience.
What does everyone else say?
Yes, Xiaomi gives you a great ride…when you’re on smooth sidewalks and even short inclines. However, bumpy roads and typical city commuting will cause some inexplicable issues to your tires.
Xiaomi recommends that you don’t change the tires alone; however, if you don’t have anyone who could help and there is no service center – how else would you expect us to change our tires?
Changing these tires could be very problematic for many people since the manual doesn’t even tell you what tools you need to nor how to remove them or how difficult it actually is to put the new tire on the rim.
If this is your first scooter or wheel vehicle and you’ve never changed a tire before, this can definitely be a rude awakening for you. This is why once you get a flat tire, your perspective will inevitably change about this due to its difficulty and the need to disconnect everything.
Top Speed & Ride Quality: Is the Xiaomi Mi Electric Scooter easy to ride?
What does Xiaomi say?
Xiaomi says that every aspect of the scooter is crafted with simplicity in mind. With their anti-slip handle feature, you will have great grip and control over the scooter, no matter how long the ride is.
Also, the M365 scooter is built with controlled acceleration that gives you the ability to accelerate at your own comfortable speed without unnatural kicks.
Also, this app that comes with this scooter gives you extra insight into your Mi Electric Scooter to see the current speed, remaining power, and the ability to leverage cruise control which helps maintain smooth and stable cruise rides to reduce tension, fatigue and optimizes battery.
What does everyone else say?
If you’re looking to achieve top speed but conserving power while in eco mode (which is a power-saving mode for the Xiaomi M365 Pro and Xiaomi Mi) then you will definitely not achieve that.
You’re looking closer to 15 mph while on eco mode and that’s being hopeful.
But if your battery is still good to go, you will experience a zippy high-quality ride around town.
This specific e-scooter lacks any suspension system in place. Also the front wheel and back have many small diameter wheels. When it comes to traveling with your e-scooter over terrain that isn’t smooth pavement, you will experience heavy vibration through the handlebars and up to your arms.
Price Range: Is the M365 Electric Scooter expensive?
You can find the Xiaomi Mi Electric Scooter, you would be expecting to pay $400 plus free shipping from Amazon. With the additional protection plan for this, you’d be adding an additional 3-Year Protection for $33.99 or 2-Year Protection for $24.99.
Additional accessories that would go well with this ride would be a Solid Tire Replacement, specifically OTBBA, $29.99, and WiLEES, $23.99 (We’ll explain why these will be useful in the later parts of this review).
Is the Xiaomi M365 Pro Worth It?
The Xiaomi M365 Pro has several advantages when it comes to improving the range and extra acceleration and top speed that you get from the original M365 electric scooter. If you’re willing to pay the premium price of almost double the M365 electric scooter then this could be a good option for you.
Just keep in mind that if this is your first electric scooter purchase then you may want to start with something that is easy to use like the M365 scooter so you can fully get comfortable with the riding style and design of the Xiaomi M365.
Look out for our electric scooter review of the Xiaomi M365 Pro
Our Final Thoughts
In our electric scooter review, we’ve touched on several points that highlight Xiaomi M365 is a great scooter for entry-level riders.
There is no doubt that this is a terrific scooter. It provides you with all the capabilities that you need in an electric rideable without the heft price tag that is often a part of the purchase.
If you can deal with some of the cons that come with this scooter such as the ride experience on pavement or needing to ride without baggage or the tire issues. We believe that you will definitely enjoy the Xiaomi Mi Electric Scooter.
More Recommended Ebikes
Check out these other ebikes I've reviewed:
- Urban Arrow Ebike – Last year, I made one of the largest purchases I’ve ever made – I bought a $9,000 electric cargo bike from Urban Arrow. In my Urban Arrow review, I will discuss what it is and why I decided to buy this bike, as well as discuss how impactful a bike like this can be on your journey to financial independence.
- Troxus Explorer Step-Thru Ebike – The Troxus Explorer Step-Thru is a fat-tire ebike that I’ve had the pleasure of riding for a while now. It has amazing power, great looks, and awesome range. If you’re looking for a great fat-tire ebike that offers a lot for the price, the Troxus Explorer Step-Thru is definitely one for you to consider. Check out my Troxus Explorer Step-Thru Review.
- Hovsco HovBeta Ebike – The HovBeta is a folding ebike with great specs and a lot of interesting features, and importantly, it’s sold at a good price point. I’ve had a blast commuting with it and using it to do deliveries with DoorDash, Uber Eats, and Grubhub. Check out my Hovsco HovBeta Ebike Review.
- Vanpowers Manidae Ebike – The Vanpowers Manidae is a fat tire ebike that I’ve been riding as my primary winter commuting bike and have also been using it to do food delivery with apps like DoorDash, Uber Eats, and Grubhub. After clocking in a decent number of miles with this ebike, I wanted to write a post sharing what my experience with the Vanpowers Manidae ebike has been like. Check out my Vanpowers Manidae Review.
- Sohamo S3 Step-Thru Folding EBike Review – A Great Value Folding Ebike – The Sohamo S3 Step-Thru Folding Ebike is an entry-level folding ebike that offers a lot of value for the price point. I’ve been riding the Sohamo S3 for a while now, putting the bike through its paces, and I have to say, this bike has exceeded all of my expectations. Check out my Sohamo Review.
- KBO Flip Ebike – The KBO Flip is an excellent bike. I’ve had a great time riding it and think it’s a versatile bike that can be used for a lot of purposes and can fit a variety of lifestyles. It’s worked out great for me as a general commuter bike and as a food delivery bike. Check out my KBO Flip Review.
- Hiboy P7 Commuter Ebike – The Hiboy P7 is an excellent electric commuter bike that’s offered at an affordable price point. The range and speed of this bike are both very good, so you won’t have any trouble getting anywhere you need to go with it. As a food delivery vehicle, this is also good – with how much range it offers, you’ll be able to work all day on a single charge. Check out my Hiboy P7 Commuter Electric Bike Review.
- Himiway Escape Ebike – The Himiway Escape is an interesting bike for anyone looking for a moped-style ebike. If you’re a gig economy worker, the Himiway Escape is particularly interesting and it’s possible to think of it as an investment, especially if you can opt to do deliveries with the Himiway versus using a car. It’s not cheap, but you can definitely make your money back when you compare the mileage you’ll put on your car versus using an ebike. Check out my Himiway Escape Bike Review.
- Espin Sport Ebike – The Espin Sport is a good ebike for someone who is looking for an ebike that feels and rides more like a regular bike. There are many ebikes that are really only bikes in name. In reality, they’re basically electric mopeds. The Espin Sport, by contrast, is a bike you could probably ride without the battery and you’d feel like you’re just riding a regular bike. Check out my Espin Sport Review.
More Recommended Scooters
Check out these other scooters I've reviewed:
- Varla Eagle One Scooter – The Varla Eagle One is an excellent scooter that can make sense for a lot of people. It can work as a primary mode of transportation. You can use it to work on gig economy apps like DoorDash, Uber Eats, and Grubhub. And it can also be a recreational vehicle if you’d prefer to use it for that. Check out my Varla Eagle One Review.
- Varla Falcon Scooter – The Varla Falcon is an excellent scooter that offers a good amount of power at a lower price point compared to more powerful scooters. It’s not exactly an entry-level scooter, nor is it a high-powered scooter. I think it fits somewhere in-between those two categories – an intermediate scooter if I had to give it a category. Check out my Varla Falcon Review.
- Hiboy S2 Scooter – The Hiboy S2 is an excellent entry-level commuter scooter that's perfect for someone looking to save some money in transportation costs and improve their commute. Check out my Hiboy S2 Review.
- Hiboy S2R Scooter – The Hiboy S2R is one of the more interesting electric scooters I’ve been able to test out. It’s not a high-powered scooter, but for an everyday transport option, it’s very useful, especially given some of the unique features that it has. Indeed, for the price, the Hiboy S2R might be the best value scooter I’ve used. Check out my Hiboy S2R Review.
- GoTrax G5 Scooter – The GoTrax G5 Electric Scooter is a new commuter scooter from GoTrax that I’ve been riding for a while now. It’s a scooter that’s well-built, has a good top speed, and offers a lot of great features. And with a price point in the $500 range, it’s a scooter that offers a lot of value for the money too. Check out my GoTrax G5 Review.
- Sisigad Arrow Max Scooter – When it comes to scooters, you sometimes just need a solid, well-built, decently fast scooter to get you around. The Sisigad Arrow Max is an entry-level scooter that does exactly that. I’ve been riding it around a bunch lately – and so far – I find it to be a fun, affordable scooter that works well for commuting and getting around the city. Check out my Sisigad Arrow Max Review.
- Fucare H3 Scooter – The Fucare H3 is a fun scooter and I’ve enjoyed testing it out. For a daily commuter or quick trips or errands, the Fucare H3 is probably the scooter I’ll use. It’s portable and easy to maneuver, so it’s just easier to take on the road when I need it. Check out my Fucare H3 Scooter Review.