Electric penny boards are growing in popularity – and for good reasons! Much smaller than electric scooters or bikes, but still offering the benefit of mechanical power, these little wheeled machines are hitting the streets in full force.
We’ve reviewed the masses and rounded up the best to create the top 5 electric penny board reviews below!
Are Penny Boards Electric? Is It Even Possible?
Yes, an electric skateboard can come in all shapes and sizes! An electric penny board provides tons of opportunities for people with different sizes, models, wheel, and riding style preferences.
Electric skateboards can offer the top-speed experience that riders are looking for and make it incredibly easy to customize your board and travel in style.
Use our article to find which electric penny you want to evaluate and see if it can reach the max performance and best price that you want.
Things to consider before buying a penny electric skateboard
Before you start shopping, let’s cover some important things to think about when searching for your future electric penny board. You need a portable commute solution, and this can solve that problem.
For the earth-friendly folks, electric penny boards are a great choice in cutting down on your carbon footprint. Pack some seed bombs with you to toss along the way and you’re feeding two birds with one scone.
The ideal customer for an electric penny board is likely someone with some skateboarding experience, though this doesn’t have to be the case. The penny board is a unique design and takes a bit of practice to master the ride.
If you’re a bit wary of treading into the skate-world (say, you’ve never been great at balancing) think about looking into electric scooters instead.
Consider the following before you shell out the cash:
- How much do you want to spend? Hit that budget sheet and check the price.
- What does the geography of your commute look like (hills, sidewalks, trails, etc)
- Are you purchasing for your young niece? Probably not the best idea to get her the board that goes over 20mph.
- Are you going to be traveling with the board – you’ll need something you can take on a plane.
What are the Advantages of an Electric Penny Board?
Besides being freaking awesome, electric penny boards have a lot to brag about. They get our vote on being the coolest up-and-coming electric ride out there.
Penny boards are fun to learn on, easy to handle, and look pretty dang cool.
Let’s hit the pros, bullet-style:
- Easily tackle hills, with the electric machine power
- Small and portable (compared to a big scooter or bike)
- Eco friendly! Ditch the gas guzzler and enjoy some fresh in-polluted air
- Cost-effective, for an electric vehicle
These little machines can pack a lot of power. Hitting some decent speeds, up to 13mph, you can majorly cut your walk commute time. They’re operated by wireless remote, making them very easy to use.
Simply plug in your remote to a USB charger and you’ll never have to worry about losing power.
A lot of these boards have a great battery life, that can take up over 10 miles of travel, and can handle steep ramp grades of various levels. That’ll save you from huffing and puffing your way on foot.
The battery packs are located on the bottom side of the deck and are super slim. Being lightweight, around 13lbs, an electric penny board can go from the street to strap onto your backpack and into your office with ease.
The benefit of being able to take your ride with you is that you don’t have to leave it outside to fend for itself against the elements and thieves.
Does Size Matter? Is A 22 inch Penny Board Good for Beginners?
When it comes to electric skateboards and penny boards, you may need to first get used to riding regular and/or mini boards. The reason is that learning to ride allows you to gain the skill of balance, weight distribution, foot support, and overall comfort.
It can get very stressful once you add hub motors, electric drive, and the small size of the penny board.
However, if you have ridden a penny board before (even if briefly) and think that you can handle one, then a smaller 22” (as opposed to 27 inches) will be your best bet.
You’ll enjoy the fact that you won’t have to kick and you have a motor to keep your speed up while you’re cruising.
Top 12 Penny Electric Skateboards
1. Meepo Mini 2 Electric Skateboard
This electric penny board is for the budget keepers and performance junkies. You get the best of both worlds on this electric penny board. The cost won’t break the bank and the motor will help you commute there.
This electric skateboard is superfast, topping out at 28mph — it’s an awesome choice for adults looking for enhanced speed.
The high-quality build is what comes to be most impressed with the MEEPO Mini 2, you’ll see other boards that look similar in style and designed standard, but the stability you get from each drive really takes the cake.
You’re getting a beast of a board and reviews to match this sentiment.
Most electric skateboards have max performance anywhere from 20 to 26 mph, but with the MEEPO Mini, you’re easily pushing 28 mph with one of the strongest electric penny board hub motors in the market.
A short penny deck with a functional kicktail makes the Mini 2 is easier to ride, turn, and super portable.
- Speed: up to 28mph
- Range: 15 miles
- Battery: 2 X 540 Watts – Standard / ER battery
- Remote: M4
You’re getting amazing top speed in this electric skateboard and it’s a mini! This isn’t what you find often in the market and if you’ve got no time and places to be then you’ll like this mini a lot. Don’t even think about slowing on down on this board.
The price is what makes this board enticing as a long-term buy, but the quality will keep you as a MEEPO customer for the long term.
2. Electron Board Mini
If you’re looking for a fun and thrilling cruise, look no further than the Electron board mini.
This electric skateboard has it all. With a lightweight design that you can carry around, the electron board mini manages to deliver a top speed of 23 mph on a single 350W motor.
It has a suitable range of 5 miles. The electric skateboard provides an intricate balance between being accessible for beginners while also remaining suitable for electric skateboard enthusiasts.
Electron board mini comes equipped with a wireless remote that can give you full control of the skateboard at the tips of your fingers.
- Speed: 23 mph
- Range: 5 miles
- Battery: 2.2Ah SAMSUNG lithium battery
- Remote: Comfortable wireless remote controller
3. Teamgee H20mini
One look at Teamgee H20 mini will tell you everything about this electric skateboard. It’s sleek, cool, and a thrilling way to enjoy a cruise or go around your neighborhood for chores.
It looks just as well as it performs. Teamgee H20 mini can reach an incredible top speed of 24 mph while delivering a mileage of 18 miles on a single charge.
It’s equipped with a double 450W super motor and 7.5 Ah battery. Despite this, the skateboard has a lightweight and compact design for convenience and portability.
Teamgee H20 is made of 7-ply maple wood and manages to deliver a strong grip for safe cruising at a high speed.
Best of all, the electric skateboard also has a wireless controller with an LCD that gives you full control of the skateboard’s acceleration and direction.
Finally, if you live in a hilly area, Teamgee H20 mini is perfect for you. The skateboard can climb up an incline of up to 25% with ease.
- Speed: 24 mph. Lightweight riders can probably squeeze in more speed.
- Range: 18 miles
- Battery: 7500 mAh battery
- Remote: Ergonomic design
4. E-ASUM AS01 Electric Skateboard
No electric skateboard list could be completed without mentioning E-ASUM Electric Skateboard.
It’s an incredible commuter that delivers an incredible speed of 13 mph and a range of 15 miles on a single charge. The electric skateboard has a 7 ply Canadian maple board and is designed to last.
Weighting only 8Ibs, you can carry the electric skateboard around without any hassle. What makes this electric skateboard unique is its ability to easily climb up an incline of 15%.
- Speed: A top speed of 13 mph
- Range: Can travel up to 15 miles
- Battery: 4.4Ah lithium battery pack
- Remote: 2.4G wireless remote control with a lightweight design
5. Hiboy S11 Electric Skateboard with Wireless Remote
Hiboy S11 electric skateboard has everything going for it.
With a sleek and incredibly cool design, the skateboard was designed to provide maximum control and smooth acceleration.
The board has an incredible 8% incline speed and even more impressively, has a 1.5-hour recharge time only! If you’re a teenager or a young adult, then this is the ideal commuter you need to move around on campus.
- Speed: Incredible speed of 13 mph
- Range: Range of 7 miles
- Battery: 4Ah
- Remote: Comes with a rechargeable and easy to hold, wireless remote control
6. Tooluck 28” Electric Skateboard with Remote
Tooluck 28” electric skateboard isn’t something you can dismiss. It’s an excellent choice for you if you’re looking for a small commuter to go around your neighborhood or cruise on campus.
The smooth, almost soundless, riding experience offers a high grip and is designed to provide flexible turns.
- Speed: Top speed of 12 mph
- Range: 6 to 8 miles
- Battery: 29.4V 2000 mAh battery
- Remote: Wireless remote with 3 LED power indicators and 3-speed levels
7. Jking H2E electric skateboard
Jking is a small, convenient, and reliable electric skateboard to have on hand to satisfy any late-night cruising urgers.
This durable skateboard has a waterproof level of Ip64. For your convenience and ease, this electric skateboard weighs almost nothing at 8.8lbs.
Best of all, Jking H2E-2 manages to balance both speed and mileage as the electric skateboard can reach a thrilling max speed of 18.4 mph and a range of 7.5 miles on a single charge.
- Speed: 18.5 mph
- Range: 7.5 miles
- Battery: 29.4v 2000mAh lithium battery
- Remote: Handheld wireless remote control with multiple LED indicators and comfortable design
- Sleek, elegant design
- Perfect for short, nearby commutes
- Ideal for a beginner
- The tail end is weak
- Complains about battery charge time increasing after continuous use
8. Boosted Mini X Electric Skateboard
This is the prom king of electric penny boards. It can hit up to 20mph and is loaded with tons of battery power to long outlast your commute, so it’s no problem if you decide to dog leg to the brewery after class.
Once you get used to riding the Boosted Mini X, you’ll enjoy the amount of torque you’ll get with their expert mode. The top speed doesn’t change, but the acceleration makes the riding experience much more enjoyable.
If you’re someone with a longer commute or riding around town, the Boosted Mini X allows you to experience a far range of many miles. This well-designed electric penny board will take well over 400+ miles of ride time.
Just like your favorite pizza, this deep dish deck will keep you satisfied by being extra stable.
- Speed: up to 20 mph
- Range: 14 miles
- Battery: Lithium-ion with 1000 watts of power
- Remote: ergonomic shape and intuitive. Designed with cutting-edge firmware for simplicity.
Boosted Mini provides the highest quality of electric penny board that you can find on the market and will enhance your riding style through best-of-build board and top speed.
9. Backfire Mini
Backfire Mini not only comes with a classic and premium look but also with an incredible performance.
The sleek carbon fiber design delivers excellent grip, control, and high stability. With a top speed of 26 mph, you can cruise through the road without a care in the world.
The riding experience is top-notch and you’ll be comfortable making turns and using the brakes.
Backfire comes with 3 ride modes, including a 30 seconds long turbo mode which can give you a boost of speed to satisfy your adventure-seeking heart.
- Speed: Incredible top speed of 26 mph
- Range: 11 miles on a single charge
- Battery: 12s1p Samsung 40T battery pack
- Remote: High grip wireless control
10. Vestar Mini
Vestar Skateboards are renounced among enthusiasts for their incredible performance and high build quality. Vestar Mini continues this legacy of the company with its stylish board and efficient performance.
This water-resistant skateboard has an elegant, portable design and boasts an incredible range of 17 miles per charge. What about the speed, you might ask?
Have no fear because the board delivers a thrilling top speed of 27 mph.
- Speed: 27 mph
- Range: 17 miles
- Battery: Multiple battery options including 7.0 Ah/ 252Wh (Sanyo ga)
- Remote: Ergonometric design that can fit perfectly in the palm of your hand.
11. Aeboard AX mini
If you’re looking for a mini electric skateboard that can withstand slightly bumpy and rough terrain, then Aeboard AX mini is exactly what you need.
This strong but surprisingly lightweight skateboard offers a choice between three battery types. The skateboard has a remarkable climb ability of 35% and a thrilling top speed of 30mph.
- Speed: 30 mph
- Range: 13 miles on the standard battery
- Battery: 3 battery options
- Remote: Small wireless control
12. EnSkate R3 Mini Electric Skateboard
Portable power here. This board falls among the moderately priced and makes a great mid-ground option for cost and quality. However, it’s also the fastest speed and can take an incline of 20%.
The board can smoothly accelerate and gets going with a kick of speed. Its bright orange wheels also give you better visibility on the roads.
- Speed: up to 21.7 mph
- Range: 12.4 miles
- Battery: 10S1P 90Wh lithium battery
- Remote: Wireless control
Conclusion – Which electric penny board is right for you?
You’ve got the round-up on your deck, now, it’s up to you to decide which board is the best fit. Each of the electric penny skateboards above is unique and has different features. It should be a pretty clear decision to narrow it down to the deck that fits the bill.
It comes down to two main factors: how much wiggle room you’ve got in your wallet and how much power you want under your feet.
Shell out the moola and you’ll get more speed and durability. Penny-pinch your penny board purchase and you’ll still be moving faster than you can walk.
Whichever end of the spectrum you’re leaning towards, you’re still going to get a fun toy that’ll save your calves from burning up those hills.
More Recommended Ebikes
Check out these other ebikes I've reviewed:
- Urban Arrow Ebike – Last year, I made one of the largest purchases I’ve ever made – I bought a $9,000 electric cargo bike from Urban Arrow. In my Urban Arrow review, I will discuss what it is and why I decided to buy this bike, as well as discuss how impactful a bike like this can be on your journey to financial independence.
- Troxus Explorer Step-Thru Ebike – The Troxus Explorer Step-Thru is a fat-tire ebike that I’ve had the pleasure of riding for a while now. It has amazing power, great looks, and awesome range. If you’re looking for a great fat-tire ebike that offers a lot for the price, the Troxus Explorer Step-Thru is definitely one for you to consider. Check out my Troxus Explorer Step-Thru Review.
- Hovsco HovBeta Ebike – The HovBeta is a folding ebike with great specs and a lot of interesting features, and importantly, it’s sold at a good price point. I’ve had a blast commuting with it and using it to do deliveries with DoorDash, Uber Eats, and Grubhub. Check out my Hovsco HovBeta Ebike Review.
- Vanpowers Manidae Ebike – The Vanpowers Manidae is a fat tire ebike that I’ve been riding as my primary winter commuting bike and have also been using it to do food delivery with apps like DoorDash, Uber Eats, and Grubhub. After clocking in a decent number of miles with this ebike, I wanted to write a post sharing what my experience with the Vanpowers Manidae ebike has been like. Check out my Vanpowers Manidae Review.
- Sohamo S3 Step-Thru Folding EBike Review – A Great Value Folding Ebike – The Sohamo S3 Step-Thru Folding Ebike is an entry-level folding ebike that offers a lot of value for the price point. I’ve been riding the Sohamo S3 for a while now, putting the bike through its paces, and I have to say, this bike has exceeded all of my expectations. Check out my Sohamo Review.
- KBO Flip Ebike – The KBO Flip is an excellent bike. I’ve had a great time riding it and think it’s a versatile bike that can be used for a lot of purposes and can fit a variety of lifestyles. It’s worked out great for me as a general commuter bike and as a food delivery bike. Check out my KBO Flip Review.
- Hiboy P7 Commuter Ebike – The Hiboy P7 is an excellent electric commuter bike that’s offered at an affordable price point. The range and speed of this bike are both very good, so you won’t have any trouble getting anywhere you need to go with it. As a food delivery vehicle, this is also good – with how much range it offers, you’ll be able to work all day on a single charge. Check out my Hiboy P7 Commuter Electric Bike Review.
- Himiway Escape Ebike – The Himiway Escape is an interesting bike for anyone looking for a moped-style ebike. If you’re a gig economy worker, the Himiway Escape is particularly interesting and it’s possible to think of it as an investment, especially if you can opt to do deliveries with the Himiway versus using a car. It’s not cheap, but you can definitely make your money back when you compare the mileage you’ll put on your car versus using an ebike. Check out my Himiway Escape Bike Review.
- Espin Sport Ebike – The Espin Sport is a good ebike for someone who is looking for an ebike that feels and rides more like a regular bike. There are many ebikes that are really only bikes in name. In reality, they’re basically electric mopeds. The Espin Sport, by contrast, is a bike you could probably ride without the battery and you’d feel like you’re just riding a regular bike. Check out my Espin Sport Review.
More Recommended Scooters
Check out these other scooters I've reviewed:
- Varla Eagle One Scooter – The Varla Eagle One is an excellent scooter that can make sense for a lot of people. It can work as a primary mode of transportation. You can use it to work on gig economy apps like DoorDash, Uber Eats, and Grubhub. And it can also be a recreational vehicle if you’d prefer to use it for that. Check out my Varla Eagle One Review.
- Varla Falcon Scooter – The Varla Falcon is an excellent scooter that offers a good amount of power at a lower price point compared to more powerful scooters. It’s not exactly an entry-level scooter, nor is it a high-powered scooter. I think it fits somewhere in-between those two categories – an intermediate scooter if I had to give it a category. Check out my Varla Falcon Review.
- Hiboy S2 Scooter – The Hiboy S2 is an excellent entry-level commuter scooter that's perfect for someone looking to save some money in transportation costs and improve their commute. Check out my Hiboy S2 Review.
- Hiboy S2R Scooter – The Hiboy S2R is one of the more interesting electric scooters I’ve been able to test out. It’s not a high-powered scooter, but for an everyday transport option, it’s very useful, especially given some of the unique features that it has. Indeed, for the price, the Hiboy S2R might be the best value scooter I’ve used. Check out my Hiboy S2R Review.
- GoTrax G5 Scooter – The GoTrax G5 Electric Scooter is a new commuter scooter from GoTrax that I’ve been riding for a while now. It’s a scooter that’s well-built, has a good top speed, and offers a lot of great features. And with a price point in the $500 range, it’s a scooter that offers a lot of value for the money too. Check out my GoTrax G5 Review.
- Sisigad Arrow Max Scooter – When it comes to scooters, you sometimes just need a solid, well-built, decently fast scooter to get you around. The Sisigad Arrow Max is an entry-level scooter that does exactly that. I’ve been riding it around a bunch lately – and so far – I find it to be a fun, affordable scooter that works well for commuting and getting around the city. Check out my Sisigad Arrow Max Review.
- Fucare H3 Scooter – The Fucare H3 is a fun scooter and I’ve enjoyed testing it out. For a daily commuter or quick trips or errands, the Fucare H3 is probably the scooter I’ll use. It’s portable and easy to maneuver, so it’s just easier to take on the road when I need it. Check out my Fucare H3 Scooter Review.