Owning a bike and a car can be one of the best things in life because you have a good chance of switching to any of them, depending on the circumstance you find yourself in.
For instance, a car is great for a long-distance journey, while on the other hand, a bike gets you to a place within a short distance in no time.
However, what if you found yourself needing to use both simultaneously? Your car can be parked somewhere decent but where do you secure your bike when you are on the move or stationed somewhere? – hence, the reason for this article.
Step By Step Guide On How to Secure Bikes to Car Racks
Having described the various ways on how to lock bikes, it is important to list a step-by-step guide on how to secure bikes properly.
Here is how to secure your bike to a car using racks.
Step 1: Connect the rack (or platform) to the car by locking the lever, and make sure it is tight enough from the latch and the ball wheel.
Step 2: Expand the rack and attach a rail to enhance the easy movement of the bike on the platform.
Step 3: Depending on the number of bikes that the car rack can handle, use the strap to hold the bikes in place.
Step 4: Keep all the bikes together with an extended metal attached to the platform.
Step 5: Ensure that the platform maintains a safe distance from the car to prevent it from getting scratched.
What are the Different Types of Car Racks to Use?
Since you need a car bike rack for safety and security, you might as well check out the different types available.
Generally, there are three types of car bike racks, and they include:
Hitch Bike Racks
Hitch Bike Rack is one of the most popular types of racks available because it is easy to install. This trailer hitch-mounted rack also makes it easy for bike owners to remove and replace bikes to the rack, unlike other car racks.
The only limitation to this bike rack is that it extends vehicle length which means you might need to be very careful when maneuvering the rear of your vehicle.
Trunk Bike Racks
Like it is called, the Trunk Bike Rack is attached to the tailgate of a vehicle.
It doesn’t need a hitch system since the tailgate is all that is needed; hence, it is one of the least expensive options on the market.
This car rack also serves as a security system since it comes with straps that can be used to lock your bike excellently.
It can hold up between 2 to 3 bikes depending on the brand or model.
Rooftop Bike Racks
The most secure and the safest way to secure your bike is using the Rooftop type.
First, this rack doesn’t limit access at the rear side of your car.
Secondly, rooftop bike racks can allow you to keep the rear or front wheel, or remove both when securing your bike.
The only disadvantage of this bike rack is that you would have to do a little bit of lifting.
What are the Methods of Locking Your Bike to a Car Rack?
With the various types of bike racks reviewed, let’s take a look at the methods of locking your bike to a car rack.
The Passive Strap or Trunk Lock
The Passive Strap is undoubtedly the easiest and most convenient way of locking a bike to a car rack. Although this method has little regard for safety, it makes sure that your bike is properly held to the car for the meantime.
This Passive Strap or Trunk Lock method often requires using a strap or long cable locks with the rounded puck at the end (forming u locks).
This strap or cable lock is then used to form a loop, which will be used to hold the bike at its frame.
Afterward, the loop is tightened properly to restrict the bike’s movement.
The Tow Loop or Tow Hitch Lock
The complicated one, however, is the Tow Loop or Tow Hitch Lock. It is quite a bit of a struggle because the materials used in the production of the lock system are intense.
Nevertheless, this method ensures maximum safety and security.
You can secure your bike in two ways using this method.
The first: you should loop the cable under your car’s bumper or any part of the vehicle that is immovable, and then use a cord to loop your bike at the frame. Finally, you can now attach both loops with a tow loop.
The second: you should tie a strong cord to the hitch of your car or secure it away from thieves using a padlock.
What are the Best Car Bike Racks to Go For?
According to amazon.com inc, below is a list of the top Bike Racks on the market for you to choose from.
KAC Overdrive Sports Hitch-Mounted Car Rack
The KAC Overdrive Car Rack is one of the best ways to keep bikes safe and sturdy.
This rack has an anti-wobble system and a quick-release tilt design that makes it easy to secure a folded bike to a car.
This bike rack also comes with powder-coated steel tubing and padded clamps, making it possible for it to support 2 bikes with a total of 60 pounds.
Furthermore, this rack has other features such as a locking knob, a hitch pin, and a rear reflector (known for enhancing visibility), and adjustable wide trays to keep items.
Indeed, it is one of the highly recommended choices for bikers.
Allen Deluxe Trunk Mounted Bike Rack
The Deluxe Trunk Mounted Bike Rack is another exceptional choice for your bikes.
This bike rack, like other top racks, has a patented design, making it suitable for cars like sedans, minivans, SUVs, and hatchbacks.
There is specific vehicle compatibility information for this rack on its manufacturer’s website.
Allen Deluxe Car Rack also has side straps that are responsible for increased lateral stability.
More so, this rack is easy to install and can carry up to a total weight of 70 pounds.
Some of the features that come with this bike rack include a padded lower frame, individual tie-downs, and wide carry arms.
Retrospec Bike Rack Cross-Bar Top Tube Rack
Another hitch and trunk-friendly car rack for bikes are the Retrospec Cross-Bar Adjustable Bike Rack.
It is one of the best bike racks that come with a top tube adapter or easy carry and suspension.
It also supports other non-conventional bike frames, showing how incredible it is to use.
This hitch-mounted bike rack also has easy installation and can hold weights up to 45 pounds.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Many Bicycles Can the Ideal Bike Rack Hold?
Every bike rack has a specific number of bikes and the amount of weight it can hold.
All you just have to do is check the product or with the manufacturer to see how many.
What Securing Method Do I Use?
When securing bikes from thieves using bicycle racks, you need to use the most appropriate method. There are two methods reviewed above.
However, while one (the tow loop) guarantees better security than the other (the passive trap), they are still both useful to lock bikes.
You can also consider choosing either lock method depending on convenience.
Can Car Racks Scratch Your Car?
If you plan to explore the trails of a place and need to protect your bike against theft while you are at it, the best car racks are your most ideal option.
However, while you are installing these racks, ensure to keep a safe distance between them and your car because they can scratch your car within close range.
Choosing to lock your bike for security reasons is a sane thing to do. You don’t want to go through the stress of reporting to the police of a missing bike simply because you failed to either use straps or cable locks.
That being said, you can prioritize your bike’s safety and security by investing in any of the carracks reviewed above.
Just consider the factors for selection first before you spend your money on either of them.
More Recommended Ebikes
Check out these other ebikes I've reviewed:
- Urban Arrow Ebike – Last year, I made one of the largest purchases I’ve ever made – I bought a $9,000 electric cargo bike from Urban Arrow. In my Urban Arrow review, I will discuss what it is and why I decided to buy this bike, as well as discuss how impactful a bike like this can be on your journey to financial independence.
- Troxus Explorer Step-Thru Ebike – The Troxus Explorer Step-Thru is a fat-tire ebike that I’ve had the pleasure of riding for a while now. It has amazing power, great looks, and awesome range. If you’re looking for a great fat-tire ebike that offers a lot for the price, the Troxus Explorer Step-Thru is definitely one for you to consider. Check out my Troxus Explorer Step-Thru Review.
- Hovsco HovBeta Ebike – The HovBeta is a folding ebike with great specs and a lot of interesting features, and importantly, it’s sold at a good price point. I’ve had a blast commuting with it and using it to do deliveries with DoorDash, Uber Eats, and Grubhub. Check out my Hovsco HovBeta Ebike Review.
- Vanpowers Manidae Ebike – The Vanpowers Manidae is a fat tire ebike that I’ve been riding as my primary winter commuting bike and have also been using it to do food delivery with apps like DoorDash, Uber Eats, and Grubhub. After clocking in a decent number of miles with this ebike, I wanted to write a post sharing what my experience with the Vanpowers Manidae ebike has been like. Check out my Vanpowers Manidae Review.
- Sohamo S3 Step-Thru Folding EBike Review – A Great Value Folding Ebike – The Sohamo S3 Step-Thru Folding Ebike is an entry-level folding ebike that offers a lot of value for the price point. I’ve been riding the Sohamo S3 for a while now, putting the bike through its paces, and I have to say, this bike has exceeded all of my expectations. Check out my Sohamo Review.
- KBO Flip Ebike – The KBO Flip is an excellent bike. I’ve had a great time riding it and think it’s a versatile bike that can be used for a lot of purposes and can fit a variety of lifestyles. It’s worked out great for me as a general commuter bike and as a food delivery bike. Check out my KBO Flip Review.
- Hiboy P7 Commuter Ebike – The Hiboy P7 is an excellent electric commuter bike that’s offered at an affordable price point. The range and speed of this bike are both very good, so you won’t have any trouble getting anywhere you need to go with it. As a food delivery vehicle, this is also good – with how much range it offers, you’ll be able to work all day on a single charge. Check out my Hiboy P7 Commuter Electric Bike Review.
- Himiway Escape Ebike – The Himiway Escape is an interesting bike for anyone looking for a moped-style ebike. If you’re a gig economy worker, the Himiway Escape is particularly interesting and it’s possible to think of it as an investment, especially if you can opt to do deliveries with the Himiway versus using a car. It’s not cheap, but you can definitely make your money back when you compare the mileage you’ll put on your car versus using an ebike. Check out my Himiway Escape Bike Review.
- Espin Sport Ebike – The Espin Sport is a good ebike for someone who is looking for an ebike that feels and rides more like a regular bike. There are many ebikes that are really only bikes in name. In reality, they’re basically electric mopeds. The Espin Sport, by contrast, is a bike you could probably ride without the battery and you’d feel like you’re just riding a regular bike. Check out my Espin Sport Review.
More Recommended Scooters
Check out these other scooters I've reviewed:
- Varla Eagle One Scooter – The Varla Eagle One is an excellent scooter that can make sense for a lot of people. It can work as a primary mode of transportation. You can use it to work on gig economy apps like DoorDash, Uber Eats, and Grubhub. And it can also be a recreational vehicle if you’d prefer to use it for that. Check out my Varla Eagle One Review.
- Varla Falcon Scooter – The Varla Falcon is an excellent scooter that offers a good amount of power at a lower price point compared to more powerful scooters. It’s not exactly an entry-level scooter, nor is it a high-powered scooter. I think it fits somewhere in-between those two categories – an intermediate scooter if I had to give it a category. Check out my Varla Falcon Review.
- Hiboy S2 Scooter – The Hiboy S2 is an excellent entry-level commuter scooter that's perfect for someone looking to save some money in transportation costs and improve their commute. Check out my Hiboy S2 Review.
- Hiboy S2R Scooter – The Hiboy S2R is one of the more interesting electric scooters I’ve been able to test out. It’s not a high-powered scooter, but for an everyday transport option, it’s very useful, especially given some of the unique features that it has. Indeed, for the price, the Hiboy S2R might be the best value scooter I’ve used. Check out my Hiboy S2R Review.
- GoTrax G5 Scooter – The GoTrax G5 Electric Scooter is a new commuter scooter from GoTrax that I’ve been riding for a while now. It’s a scooter that’s well-built, has a good top speed, and offers a lot of great features. And with a price point in the $500 range, it’s a scooter that offers a lot of value for the money too. Check out my GoTrax G5 Review.
- Sisigad Arrow Max Scooter – When it comes to scooters, you sometimes just need a solid, well-built, decently fast scooter to get you around. The Sisigad Arrow Max is an entry-level scooter that does exactly that. I’ve been riding it around a bunch lately – and so far – I find it to be a fun, affordable scooter that works well for commuting and getting around the city. Check out my Sisigad Arrow Max Review.
- Fucare H3 Scooter – The Fucare H3 is a fun scooter and I’ve enjoyed testing it out. For a daily commuter or quick trips or errands, the Fucare H3 is probably the scooter I’ll use. It’s portable and easy to maneuver, so it’s just easier to take on the road when I need it. Check out my Fucare H3 Scooter Review.