Thinking of buying an electric skateboard?
Are you afraid of running out of power in the middle of the road?
Don’t worry. You can opt for a long-range option.
However, the range is not the only important factor you should consider. Electric Skateboards are expensive, and you need to choose one with care.
Read on to learn more about our excellent choices due to their build quality, price, performance, and range.
Range and Top Speed
Technical specifications aside, the two factors that electric skateboard enthusiasts usually consider are top speed and average range after a single charge.
In most electric skateboards, top speeds are usually similar. For safety reasons, most manufacturers restrict their top speeds to around 25mph.
Even if a model is faster, it’s unlikely that you’ll hit it frequently.
The reason behind it is simple.
Hitting the top speed requires a lot of open space and a safe environment. These opportunities are limited for urban users needing an electric skateboard for commute or fun.
Why Does Range Matter?
The range, however, is variable and has more practical implications on performance.
The range is a critical factor. If you are getting a long-range electric skateboard for regular travels, you’ll want something that can cover your return journey as well.
At Sturdywheel.com, we believe that a long-range electric skateboard must at least have a range of 15 miles.
Generally, models capable of covering this distance or more cost a lot. However, you can still find an ideal skateboard at a reasonable price if you stay smart and make informed decisions.
Why Should I Buy A Long Range Board?
It really depends on your needs and average travel distance. If you are using the Electric longboard for more pleasure reasons and the size of the battery doesn’t matter to you, then an e-board with the longest range wouldn’t be super important.
Keep this in mind with your average daily commute and get the longboard that is appropriate for your riding experience and max range needed.
Factors that Affect the Range of an Electric Skateboard
Before we proceed to the products, let’s take a moment and discuss the features that determine an electric skateboard’s range.
This information will allow you to get the most out of your skateboard and maintain its performance for a long time.
The following factors have a direct impact on the overall range of an electric skateboard.
Battery’s Specifications and Condition
Battery capacity has a critical role to play in the performance of any electronic device.
Electric skateboards also rely on the battery to power their integral components. If all other conditions are similar, the device with a higher battery capacity would have more range.
Moreover, remember that powerful batteries are expensive. So, be ready to spend some money if you want a skateboard with a reasonable capacity.
Batteries also lose their capacity with use, and that’s where the second factor comes in.
Consistent and intended performance requires you to ensure optimum battery condition.
You must periodically charge the batter, protect it from foreign contaminants, and undergo the required maintenance at the scheduled time.
Failure to do that can expedite the battery’s degradation and affect the range of your electric skateboard.
The overall power of your motor also has an impact on the range.
An underpowered motor will be inefficient and consume more power for the same task. Naturally, this will reduce the overall range of the electric skateboard and stop you from using it to its full capacity.
Just like the battery, motors also lose their performance over time. However, the process is slow, and it takes several years for there to be a significant impact on the range.
Q: How Long Do Electric Skateboards Last?
A: Electric skateboards are found on average to last many years, but the constant charging cycles of the battery may only last 1 to 3 years. Consider buying another battery to extend the life of your electric longboard.
Electric Skateboard’s Design and Suspension
The design of your electric skateboard and other features like the material, weight, suspension, and wheel shape can also affect the range.
Pneumatic wheels can also affect the efficiency of the transmission system if not properly inflated.
Some experienced skateboarders claim that incorrect wheels can reduce your range by 25%. If the figure is correct, it’s a significant number and is impossible to ignore.
The area or terrain has a crucial role in determining the range of any electric skateboard.
The motor would consume more power when going up an incline, and this will deplete your battery at a faster rate.
Contrarily, gravity will assist you with the motion if you only do down from an incline. This can significantly increase the range of your electric skateboard for that trip.
Rudimentary physics dictates that it’s harder to move a heavier object.
Your electric skateboard follows the same principle. Heavier riders need to charge their skateboard more often because the motor exerts more power to move them.
Q: What is the Range of a Boosted Board?
A: The Boosted Board gives you on average 6-7 miles of range and 12 miles using their Extended Battery. This is much less than the boards on this list. Read ahead!
Ever noticed your car consuming a lot less fuel when you are on a highway?
That’s Newton’s First Law of Motion. Remember that?
This is a universal fact that applies to all kinds of vehicles irrespective of type and location.
In an urban environment, cars need to frequently change gears, accelerate, and decelerate because of obstacles and traffic. Highways are smoother as you can cruise at a single speed, which is more efficient.
The same principle extends to electric skateboards. If you accelerate, decelerate, or approach areas where you need to exert more power, the batteries will deplete faster.
To ensure maximum efficiency, we recommend avoiding hill starts, kick-starting, and trying to maintain a steady speed.
5 Best Long-Range Electric Skateboards
Electric skateboards are quite popular and there are a lot of manufacturers offering long-range variants in the market.
However, we have already discussed that range is not the only factor you should look for.
We recommend the following 5 long-range electric skateboards. They all have an excellent range and do not disappoint when it comes to other technical specifications.
Please note that the numbering is only based on the available ranges and does not indicate our preference. To know which one we think is the best among them, stay with us till the end.
1 – SKATEBOLT Tornado II Electric Skateboard
The Stakebolt Tornado II Electric Skateboard long-range is designed for users who give preference to functionality over everything.
The skateboard comes with 2 powerful motors and a long-lasting ion battery, which gives it a top speed of 25mph and an excellent range of 18 miles on high speed.
The board uses multiple stacked layers of flexible maple wood that give it the required plasticity for maneuvering and allows it to sustain heavier loads without any damage.
The wheels of this electric skateboard feature a strong plastic-like material that lasts for a long time and performs consistently on all terrains.
We believe this is one of the best electric skateboards because it’s the safest option for people who want to use it for traveling to work or school.
The Skatebolt Tornado II comes with regenerative braking for safer descent and rear taillights to ensure your safety at night.
Perhaps the most distinctive feature of this electric skateboard is its wireless remote. This skateboard gives you a lot of control and allows you to even see the current mode/status on a small screen.
With the screen, you can check the battery condition and plan the trip accordingly. The remote even lets you control the taillights and has a cruise control mode an incredible experience.
Given its features, you’ll assume that this electric skateboard costs a lot. However, that’s not the case! You’ll be surprised to see that the Stakebolt is the lowest-priced electric skateboard on this list.
- Range: 21 – 25 miles in medium mode
- Weight limit: 280 lb
- Battery: 36V X 6.6AH
- Excellent value for money
- Powerful motor and sturdy wheels
- Offroading capability
- Multiple safety features
- High quality wireless remote
- Works in the rain (IP33 protection)
- Replacement remote is hard to find
- Unappealing finish
- History of battery problems
What sold me on this board was the removable/swappable battery pack, replaceable wheels, waterproof, flexibility, can go up 30% hill grade, charges your battery while going downhill and the overall look of the board. Super impressed with the company and quality of the board!Matthew
2 – Teamgee H20 9.6Ah Electric Skateboard
The Teamgee H20 caters to those users who prefer to have both functionality and aesthetics in a single product.
The best part about this electric skateboard is its price. When compared with other options of the same capabilities, this is a certain bargain.
This long range skateboard comes with two powerful 540W motors and features a sturdy composite deck.
The Canadian maple and fiberglass combination can easily sustain heavy loads. Considering the powerful motors, this electric skateboard has a maximum weight of 280lbs, which is perfect for heavier riders.
Moreover, the flexibility of this electrical skateboard also allows easier maneuvering in tricky roads and offroad conditions.
You’ll also find 4 speed-modes in the wireless remote, so anyone can use this electric skateboard and have a great time.
- Range: 18 miles
- Weight limit: 286 lbs
- Battery: 9600 mAh
- Perfect for commuting
- Great price
- 1080W dual-drive brushless motors
- Long-range of 18 miles and a top speed of 26mph
- A strong frame and powerful protective casing
- Removable tires for maintenance and replacement
- Aesthetic design and sporty feel
- Slightly heavy for maneuvering
I have been really impressed with this skateboard. It was a lot easier to learn than I anticipated. It didn’t take very long until it felt very natural for me to ride. It brakes really well and can go up and downhills. The board seems very well built and I have not had any issues with it.McKay
3 – RALDEY Carbon AT-V3S Electric Skateboard
The number #3 spot is given to the RALDEY Carbon AT-V3S Electric Skateboard. It is a high premium product for users that need a reliable and strong product.
The skateboard has a range of 19 miles and features a lightweight carbon fiber frame that gives it a load capacity of about 265 lbs.
Carbon fiber is an expensive material. So naturally, the Raldey long-range electric skateboard would be a little expensive for regular customers.
However, the electric skateboard justifies its price tag with its myriad of premium features apart from its excellent range.
The two belt motor has a combined power of 1500W. This gives the Raldey skateboard a top speed of 28 mph and its airless wheels give it a better road grip with offroading capability.
On top of that, the skateboard comes with an ergonomic remote and 4 different speed modes.
Moreover, this electric skateboard is backed by Raldey’s brand name and international warranty. You can spend your money without worrying as you’ll remain protected if anything goes wrong.
- Range: 19 miles
- Weight limit: 265 lbs
- Battery: 14ah 10s4p battery
- Powerful motors
- Maintenance-free wheels
- Offroading capability
- Long-lasting battery
- Lightweight carbon fiber frame
- Extremely expensive for regular users
- Kingpin trucks may take some time to master
4 – FAST & FURIOUS FT001 Electric Skateboard
If you are looking for a powerful electric skateboard that can sustain heavy loads and deliver top performance, this is your best bet.
The Fast and Furious FT001 skateboard features a powerful modular design and has dual 900W motors to deliver consistent performance anywhere.
The batteries of this electric skateboard are developed by Tesla’s battery manufacturers. They have high power output and boast a range of 17 miles on medium settings.
The FT001 electric skateboard also performs well in the aesthetic department. From the color scheme to the finishing, everything is top-notch. You can also regularly wash the FT001 as it is completely waterproof.
If you are a fan of speeding, this electric skateboard will not disappoint. The skateboard can reach up to 28 mph and has linear braking to ensure a comfortable and safe experience.
- Range: 17 miles
- Weight limit: 330 lbs
- Battery: 10s3p 18650 270Wh high power battery
- Efficient belt transmission
- Powerful dual motors
- 7 layer composite-wood frame
- Multi-functional remote
- Replaceable wheels
- Slightly expensive
- Heavier than some other electric skateboards
5 – SKATEBOLT Breeze II Electric Skateboard
This is the second product from Skatebolt on our list because of the manufacturer’s long list of reliable products.
The Breeze II electric skateboard is primarily designed for someone looking for a stylish way to travel and comes with features that facilitate it.
It has a long-range of 15 – 18 miles on medium settings, a top speed of 28mph, and powerful 6000mAh Samsung batteries to ensure reliable performance for a long time.
A distinguishing feature of this electric skateboard is its replaceable motor and design. You can easily replace faulty components even if you are not technically sound.
The 350W dual motors might seem small when compared to other models in this list, but the manufacturers claim that its efficient transmission system makes up for that. You won’t feel a difference.
This electric skateboard has a composite frame that keeps it lightweight but allows it to sustain heavier loads safely. The maximum load it can sustain is 264 lbs, which is quite impressive.
To cater to beginners and experienced users, the skateboards come with different modes. Even the brakes can be adjusted between soft and strong depending on your preference.
Overall, the SKATEBOLT Breeze II is an impressive addition to the range of powerful skateboards in the market. It comes with numerous excellent features to ensure an excellent experience.
- Range: 15 – 18 miles
- Weight limit: 264 lbs
- Battery: 6000 mAh Samsung
- Replaceable motors
- Impressive wireless remote
- Attractive design
- Efficient transmission
- 28 mph speed
- 30% climbing capacity
- Multiple reliability issues with the circuit boards and remote
- Complications with the battery
- Can’t be taken on an airplane
The Verdict: What Electric Skateboard Has The Longest Range?
After carefully considering the market reviews, functionality, price, and numerous other factors. We believe that the SKATEBOLT Tornado II Electric Skateboard is the best choice in the market right now.
This electric skateboard is among the most cost-effective options in the market when you compare it with other products of the same capabilities. We were quite pleased to see the price tag and wholeheartedly recommend the Stakebolt Tornado II Electric Skateboard to anyone looking for a quality product at a reasonable price.
More Recommended Ebikes
Check out these other ebikes I've reviewed:
- Urban Arrow Ebike – Last year, I made one of the largest purchases I’ve ever made – I bought a $9,000 electric cargo bike from Urban Arrow. In my Urban Arrow review, I will discuss what it is and why I decided to buy this bike, as well as discuss how impactful a bike like this can be on your journey to financial independence.
- Troxus Explorer Step-Thru Ebike – The Troxus Explorer Step-Thru is a fat-tire ebike that I’ve had the pleasure of riding for a while now. It has amazing power, great looks, and awesome range. If you’re looking for a great fat-tire ebike that offers a lot for the price, the Troxus Explorer Step-Thru is definitely one for you to consider. Check out my Troxus Explorer Step-Thru Review.
- Hovsco HovBeta Ebike – The HovBeta is a folding ebike with great specs and a lot of interesting features, and importantly, it’s sold at a good price point. I’ve had a blast commuting with it and using it to do deliveries with DoorDash, Uber Eats, and Grubhub. Check out my Hovsco HovBeta Ebike Review.
- Vanpowers Manidae Ebike – The Vanpowers Manidae is a fat tire ebike that I’ve been riding as my primary winter commuting bike and have also been using it to do food delivery with apps like DoorDash, Uber Eats, and Grubhub. After clocking in a decent number of miles with this ebike, I wanted to write a post sharing what my experience with the Vanpowers Manidae ebike has been like. Check out my Vanpowers Manidae Review.
- Sohamo S3 Step-Thru Folding EBike Review – A Great Value Folding Ebike – The Sohamo S3 Step-Thru Folding Ebike is an entry-level folding ebike that offers a lot of value for the price point. I’ve been riding the Sohamo S3 for a while now, putting the bike through its paces, and I have to say, this bike has exceeded all of my expectations. Check out my Sohamo Review.
- KBO Flip Ebike – The KBO Flip is an excellent bike. I’ve had a great time riding it and think it’s a versatile bike that can be used for a lot of purposes and can fit a variety of lifestyles. It’s worked out great for me as a general commuter bike and as a food delivery bike. Check out my KBO Flip Review.
- Hiboy P7 Commuter Ebike – The Hiboy P7 is an excellent electric commuter bike that’s offered at an affordable price point. The range and speed of this bike are both very good, so you won’t have any trouble getting anywhere you need to go with it. As a food delivery vehicle, this is also good – with how much range it offers, you’ll be able to work all day on a single charge. Check out my Hiboy P7 Commuter Electric Bike Review.
- Himiway Escape Ebike – The Himiway Escape is an interesting bike for anyone looking for a moped-style ebike. If you’re a gig economy worker, the Himiway Escape is particularly interesting and it’s possible to think of it as an investment, especially if you can opt to do deliveries with the Himiway versus using a car. It’s not cheap, but you can definitely make your money back when you compare the mileage you’ll put on your car versus using an ebike. Check out my Himiway Escape Bike Review.
- Espin Sport Ebike – The Espin Sport is a good ebike for someone who is looking for an ebike that feels and rides more like a regular bike. There are many ebikes that are really only bikes in name. In reality, they’re basically electric mopeds. The Espin Sport, by contrast, is a bike you could probably ride without the battery and you’d feel like you’re just riding a regular bike. Check out my Espin Sport Review.
More Recommended Scooters
Check out these other scooters I've reviewed:
- Varla Eagle One Scooter – The Varla Eagle One is an excellent scooter that can make sense for a lot of people. It can work as a primary mode of transportation. You can use it to work on gig economy apps like DoorDash, Uber Eats, and Grubhub. And it can also be a recreational vehicle if you’d prefer to use it for that. Check out my Varla Eagle One Review.
- Varla Falcon Scooter – The Varla Falcon is an excellent scooter that offers a good amount of power at a lower price point compared to more powerful scooters. It’s not exactly an entry-level scooter, nor is it a high-powered scooter. I think it fits somewhere in-between those two categories – an intermediate scooter if I had to give it a category. Check out my Varla Falcon Review.
- Hiboy S2 Scooter – The Hiboy S2 is an excellent entry-level commuter scooter that's perfect for someone looking to save some money in transportation costs and improve their commute. Check out my Hiboy S2 Review.
- Hiboy S2R Scooter – The Hiboy S2R is one of the more interesting electric scooters I’ve been able to test out. It’s not a high-powered scooter, but for an everyday transport option, it’s very useful, especially given some of the unique features that it has. Indeed, for the price, the Hiboy S2R might be the best value scooter I’ve used. Check out my Hiboy S2R Review.
- GoTrax G5 Scooter – The GoTrax G5 Electric Scooter is a new commuter scooter from GoTrax that I’ve been riding for a while now. It’s a scooter that’s well-built, has a good top speed, and offers a lot of great features. And with a price point in the $500 range, it’s a scooter that offers a lot of value for the money too. Check out my GoTrax G5 Review.
- Sisigad Arrow Max Scooter – When it comes to scooters, you sometimes just need a solid, well-built, decently fast scooter to get you around. The Sisigad Arrow Max is an entry-level scooter that does exactly that. I’ve been riding it around a bunch lately – and so far – I find it to be a fun, affordable scooter that works well for commuting and getting around the city. Check out my Sisigad Arrow Max Review.
- Fucare H3 Scooter – The Fucare H3 is a fun scooter and I’ve enjoyed testing it out. For a daily commuter or quick trips or errands, the Fucare H3 is probably the scooter I’ll use. It’s portable and easy to maneuver, so it’s just easier to take on the road when I need it. Check out my Fucare H3 Scooter Review.